Henry Tobey, Ph.D.
Executive Director, VitalHearts
• Has led STRT over 115 times for over 2300 professionals
• Trauma psychologist, 30 year experience
• Psychotherapy practice: Colorado Psychological Resources, PC
• Earlier in his career, police psychologist, forensic psychologist, hospital administrator.
• Taught his dog to play tic-tac-toe. Dog never loses.
• Private psychotherapy practice ten years
• Primary Care Liaison for Arapahoe/Douglas Mental Health Network
• Twenty years’ experience including community mental health, palliative care and hospice, animal-assisted therapy, victim rights and empowerment, vocational rehabilitation, and residential treatment.
Mary Pat DeWald, APRN-BC, MSN, MPA
Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner
Forensic Clinical Nurse Specialist
• Mental Health and Wellness Consulting
• 2006 Nightingale Finalist
• Consultant, Clinician, Educator and Entrepreneur
• C-Sane Consulting, LLC, Nightingale Center for Human Caring
• Lives Life with Purpose and Passion
Lauren Kindscher Jensen, LCSW
• Private Counseling Practice focusing on grief and loss
• Previously: University Counselor and Outreach Coordinator at the Colorado School of Mines, Behavioral Health Professional and Project Manager with Clinica Family Health, Counselor and Community Organizer with Project WISE, and Child Advocate and Forensic Interviewer at NWA's CAC
• First Job: Roller skating Sonic carhop. Never dropped a tray.
Zina A. Mercil, MA, LPC, R-DMT
Body-Based Trauma-Informed Therapist
Counselor and Registered Dance/Movement Therapist at The Exclusive Addiction Treatment Center in Hawaii
• Specializes in secondary trauma, burnout and self-care for professionals, particularly in the treatment of trauma, mental illness, and addiction
• Loves squirrels, glitter, and the color orange… but not at the same time.
MA, LPC, NCC
Clinical Case Manager / Therapist for Colorado Coalition for the Homeless’ Family Support Services
• Actor, Director, Theater Teacher in Denver and previously in the Czech Republic
• Moved from portraying trauma on stage to the mental health field; now helps folks resolve traumas in real life, while still adoring the power of theater.
School Based Therapist with Community Reach Center
• Previously with Eating Disorder Center of Denver, Naropa Community Art Studio, National Theater Workshop of the Handicapped, Women’s Wilderness Institute
• Greatest Fear: Heights…Favorite Sport: Rock climbing
Megan Connolly, LCSW, RYT
Bilingual Therapist at The Blue Bench
• Specialties: Bilingual Social Work, Primary and Secondary Trauma, Sensorimotor Psychotherapy, Trauma-Sensitive Yoga
• Loves: yoga, hiking, drawing, riding my bike, and walking my cats!
RN, BSN, CEN
ED/Critical Care RN, HCA Healthcare
• 20 years of experience working various roles in the emergency department which has fostered a passion for First Responder resiliency, self-care, and prevention of violence against caregivers.
• Trained in crisis defusing and debriefing for critical incidents, as well as emotional and spiritual care in disasters.
• I love traveling, spending time outdoors with my family, and adore my English bulldog named Phyllis!
Erika Croswhite, MA, CCLS
Child Life Manager, Child Life Specialist at Denver Health
• Master’s degree in educational psychology, studying how children think and learn
• Over 18 years of experience supporting acutely, chronically, and terminally ill hospitalized children and their families
• Life passion- to raise healthy, fulfilled children and positively influence the lives of children with whom I work!
• I am a joy-filled adventure seeker, fitness instructor, optimist, teacher, playmaker, and light shiner!
Catherine Maskell, MSN, ACNP-BC, AOCNP
Oncology Nurse Practitioner
• 10 years experience in Oncology Advance Practice Nursing with a specialty in chemotherapy/immunotherapy side effect management and treatment education.
• Supports patients through diagnosis, treatment, post-treatment, as well as end of life decision-making.
• Passionate about cultivating resiliency in my profession.
• Holds the title “professional chaos coordinator” with my young children!
Nick Zadina, MA
Freedom From Violence Coordinator, The Women’s Fund of Omaha
10 years’ experience as a Training Specialist in Child Welfare
Background in Theatre for Social Change, Playback Theatre, and Theatre of the Oppressed
A true Pekingese enthusiast with two of his own, Mr. Pickles and Lady Zucchini
Development Director, VitalHearts
• Avid supporter of the Secondary Trauma Resiliency Training since 1999.
• Previously, Operations Manager for wellness center, Massage Specialists and Office Manger for mental health center, Neuro-Therapy Clinic.
• Passion: Making ocean inspired jewelry!